The Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering (SAMPE) recently held a two-day “hands-on” workshop in collaboration with Abaris Training and the University of Southern California (USC) at the composites lab on campus. The workshop, held October 17-18, 2017, was a big success and there are plans in the works to repeat the event next year.
Here is a synopsis of the activities presented over the two-day period:
Students learned about tooling materials and applications from leading companies, providing a comprehensive overview of tooling materials and processes. Presentations focused on several areas of tooling, including tooling for aerospace and automotive applications. Presenters discussed best practices, explained solutions, and addressed common challenges.
Participating companies included:
- Coast Composites Tooling/Ascent Aerospace
- Airtech International, Inc.
- Abaris Training Resources
- SpinTech (Smart Tooling)
- Advanced Ceramics Manufacturing
- Stratasys Inc.
- Carbon Innovations LLC (CFoam)
- TenCate Advanced Composites
Attendees had the chance to view tooling demonstrations as well as get their hands dirty making composite pieces to solidify key points. Participation in Day 2 “hands-on” exercises included:
- Working with supplier tools and materials on site
- Layup and processing composite parts on various tooling materials:
o 3D/Additive manufactured mandrels
- Produce “Spring-in, Spring-out” effect with angle shapes
- “Potato Chip” Panels – The importance of symmetry in layup
- C-Foam and Rubbercraft demonstrations
- Round-table discussion toward end of Day 2
Abaris will be participating in future SAMPE events. For more information click here.